The white patent leather go-go boot has become a fashion icon of the swinging sixties. But all manner of boots, from calf-length stiletto to knee-length lace-ups, were the rage in the late 60s through most of the 70s. Let’s have a look at a random assembly of 45 vintage images from pop culture and found photographs – a heavenly hash from the golden age of the ladies’ boot.
(1) When it comes to choosing a dress to wear wither her black go-go boots, this lady is obviously partial to stripes.
(2) A girl in patent leather go-go boots riding a unicycle… not something you’re likely to run across very often. You’re welcome.
(3) A couple 1974 issues of the Spanish language magazine, El Papus
(4) – (5)
(6) The lovely Caroline Munro
(8) From an episode of Jason King
(10) From a series of books called Understanding Human Behavior from the 1970s, from a section on crime.
(11) Detective magazines in the seventies were about as seedy and grimy as it gets. Hence my massive collection.
(12) – (13) Sometimes, with these found photographs, I really wish I had a backstory. Any ideas about this caped crusader in black leather boots?
(14) From a Yugoslavian magazine from 1969. I told you I was going to deliver random pictures; you were warned.
(15) I think we may be getting into the early eighties here – a bit past our range. I won’t complain if you won’t.
(16) Natalie Wood 1969
(17) Black thigh-high boots with garters to compliment a hot pink miniskirt… now that’s an interesting look. I approve.
(18) Album cover boots
(19) Nothing sexual about this at all. Just a lady eating a hot dog. Get your mind out of the gutter.
(20) A young Kurt Russell
(21) A couple 12″ featuring knee high boots
(22) Remember Spick & Span magazine? (That was a rhetorical question. Of course you do.)
(24) These boots were made for [censored]ing”
(25) Edwige Fenech – the greatest thing to come out of Italy since the meatball, (26)
(27) Mayfair magazine, 1969
(29) – (30) School must have been a hard place for guys to concentrate back in the early seventies – what with all those miniskirts and boots around every corner, behind every desk. It’s a wonder these boys learned anything.
(31) – (32)
(33) Meanwhile, at the community college
(35) This picture actually came from a yearbook. Something tells me she was in the popular crowd. Just a hunch.
(37) Found photo dated 1967, (38)
(39) – (40)
(41) – (42) Go-go boots were meant to be on stage.
(44) I just love this found photo. The happy students and their instructor sitting proud in her animal print mini and black leather go-go boots: it’s a beautiful thing to behold.
(45) And we’ll end with a car show girl in white thigh-high boots. Cheers.
Would you like to support Flashbak?
Please consider making a donation to our site. We don't want to rely on ads to bring you the best of visual culture. You can also support us by signing up to our Mailing List. And you can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. For great art and culture delivered to your door, visit our shop.