Sydney C. Stollery, licensee of the Engineer’s Arms public house, Leiston, Suffolk, opened his doors in 1966 to Libby Hall and her camera.
Leiston is a rural town situated one mile from the Suffolk Coast. It’s a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and home to the oldest purpose built cinema in the county – the Leiston Film Theatre, or Leiston Picture House, which celebrated its centenary in 2014.
In 1966, the nuclear power station in the neighbouring village of Sizewell was switched on. Leiston was now near the core of Britain’s nuclear power ambitions. Libby Hall took these photographs of the Engineers Arms as the area changed.
Before Sizewell’s arrival, the area’s biggest employer was the Richard Garrett & Sons (1778 – 1981), which manufactured all kinds of agricultural implements and machinery. It was situated opposite the pub.
Via Libby Hall