Kay and Co Ltd was actually originally founded in Worcester in 1886 when William Kilbourne Kay started a jewellery and watch business with a local architect called George Jones. Four years later Kay struck out on his own and changed the name of the company to Kay’s of Worcester. But on 23 February 2007 their original depot in the town closed. Littlewoods and Kays combined to become Shop Direct which was based in Liverpool. The Kays brand was kept going until January 2011 when the company became known as K. and co. From July 2015, 130 years after the company was started it became part of Littlewoods and the name has now gone forever.