Brompton Road Tube Station: photos of the secret bunker in the smart part of London
FOR Sale: The Brompton Road tube station, a disused station on the Piccadilly line between South Kensington and Knightsbridge which is owned by the Ministry of Defence. Opened in 1906, the station closed 30 years later. Why? Too few passengers, so they said. When war broke out, the station was taken over by the 1st Anti-Aircraft Division. They say this bunker was where Rudolf Hess, Adolf Hitler’s deputy in the Nazi Party, was brought to be interrogated after being captured in Scotland in 1941.
It would make a terrific torture chamber; or storage room for a wealthy local woman’s handbags.
Ministry of Defence property surveyor Julian Chafer, ascends the spiral stairwell in the former Brompton Road tube station
A makeshift warning sign next to the locked gateway leading to the platforms
Ministry of Defence property surveyor Julian Chafer, stands in front of switch and fuse boxes
A view of the Lee-Enfield rifle racks in the armoury
A detail view of an old map of London on the wall in the 4th operations room
The remains of an old GEC Bakelite switch
A view of the 4th operations room
A view of a sign on the doorway to the ammunition store room
An old and dirty fire blanket tube
A view of a Royal Engineers switchgear box
Ministry of Defence property surveyor Julian Chafer, stands inside a circular room converted from a lift shaft
A view of GEC switchgear
A view of the doorway to the ammunition store room