The Pilgrim Psychiatric Center in Brentwood, New York, 1938. The place was, and still is, home to the sickest of the mentally ill. When the place opened on October 1, 1931, it was the largest psychiatric hospital in the world. In 1954, the place was home to 13,875 patients. Many died there. There are 18,000 numbered cemetery plots on the grounds.